Wednesday, August 22, 2007

testing 1, 2

friends and family all over the world, greetings, hello, this is isaac, i am going to embark on my journey soon enough. for those of you who occupy some of your time worrying about me, this is a great way for people to know that i'm safe, alive, adventuring, whatever i am, wherever i am... and also for those equally endangered youths spreading the earth as i type these very words, it should be a good way to correspond and see how our stories overlap and how they don't. what i've said just breaks people down into adults and twenty-somethings, basically, so as a third audience i offer any and all of you some insight on the research i'm doing, however i choose to organize it, somewhere here in the vastness of the internet.

forgive me as i haven't yet left, and i've never had a blog, so for now i am rambling without thought to how long an entry like this could reasonably be for someone to want to read in one sitting, etc...

what i mean to say is i will probably organize my greetings into a couple different categories, which any and all of you may parse through to find what / how much interests you.

for now, by way of basic introduction, i am about to leave for a semester abroad in Bamako, Mali, in West Africa, where i'll be multi-linguistically absorbing issues concerning gender and public health in this specific developing country... the last four weeks of my program will be devoted to an independent study project; the brief vision i have for mine uses farmer's markets and other food distribution systems as a jumping-off point to examine the structural comings and goings of this wide and vibrant culture which, saying this, i still have yet to encounter.

i leave in about a week

1 comment:

X said...

Yes! I get to make the first comment! Have a wonderful trip and I'll be very interested to read your thoughts as things go along. Before I went to Ecuador for my semester abroad, someone told me that my big adjustment moments would happen in threes, and it turned out to be strangely accurate. The first two days were exciting and awesome, and the third day I started thinking - gosh, I don't know if I want to be here for four whole months. Then things were great again, until week three hit, and I started missing the ease of being at home, in both the physical and psychological senses. Then things were great again until month three, when I had a similar feeling of dislocation. It will be a wonderful experience, with ups and downs, and things that will shape the rest of your life. So excited for you! On another note, can you create a fourth category of readers...people barely into their thirties who find the classification "adults" a little too definitive? Thanks! -V.